Empowering citizens in collaborative environmental compliance assurance via MOnitoring, REporting and action
MoRe4nature aims to trigger transformative change in conservation efforts regarding zero pollution, biodiversity protection and deforestation prevention by including citizens and communities as key actors in collaborative environmental compliance assurance.
Degradation of the environment in terms of pollution of natural resources, biodiversity loss and deforestation are continuing and in many parts of Europe and globally it is even worsening.
Although local policies to manage environmental resources are (mostly) in place, environmental compliance assurance efforts towards zero pollution, biodiversity protection and deforestation prevention are still lacking in terms of data availability, awareness and action.
Citizen actions in environmental compliance assurance are blocked by a lack of capacity and common methodologies, as well as a lack of trust in the data collected.
A key element in reversing the trend in environmental degradation is a change in environmental compliance assurance efforts. MoRe4nature will use a socio-technical approach to address the challenges of citizen actions and deepen the role of citizens and communities in environmental compliance assurance.
MoRe4Nature will strengthen the capacity of existing Citizen Science Initiatives (CSIs) to provide relevant and valid data and understanding the importance of environmental compliance, support collaboration and partnerships among CSIs and authorities to cover data gaps and shape policy monitoring frameworks, and develop and test tools to validate data obtained from CSIs.
Our role and how the project relates to our work
Earthwatch will help to oversee activities in the MoRe4nature case-studies (20 pioneer cases and 20 follower cases) including several cases based on existing FreshWater Watch community groups.
- STICHTING IHE DELFT INSTITUTE FOR WATER EDUCATION (coordinator)
- CENTRO DE INVESTIGACION ECOLOGICA Y APLICACIONES FORESTALES
- SIMBIOTICA SL
- TRABAJOS CATASTRALES SA SOCIEDAD UNIPERSONAL
- KOBENHAVNS UNIVERSITET
- VERDENS SKOVE
- NORDISK FOND FOR MILJØ OG UDVIKLING
- KONINKLIJKE NEDERLANDSE AKADEMIE VAN WETENSCHAPPEN – KNAW
- FCIENCIAS.ID – ASSOCIACAO PARA A INVESTIGACAO E DESENVOLVIMENTO DE CIENCIAS
- Irish Coastal Environment Group – Coastwatch
- NORSK INSTITUTT FOR VANNFORSKNING
- NILU STIFTELSEN NORSK INSTITUTT FORLUFTFORSKNING
- RIJKSINSTITUUT VOOR VOLKSGEZONDHEID EN MILIEU
- VLAAMSE INSTELLING VOOR TECHNOLOGISCH ONDERZOEK N.V.
- STOWARZYSZENIE KRAKOWSKI ALARM SMOGGOWY
- NATIONAL ECOLOGICAL CENTRE OF UKRAINE
- VEREIN DER EUROPAEISCHEN BURGERWISSENSCHAFTEN – ECSA E.V.
- INSTITUT D’ARQUITECTURA AVANCADA DE CATALUNYA