Software DeveloperApply for this role
Please note, we are actively recruiting and we will interview candidates as they apply.
We are looking for an experienced Software Developer to join our small IT team of 4.
In this role as a Software Developer, you will engage in diverse software tasks, primarily focusing on Joomla customer portal management, PHP development, and MySQL database support. Your responsibilities include implementing new features, resolving bugs, and addressing technical debt, guided by our delivery programmes. As a central figure in the development process, you will directly manage specific projects and contribute to others through mentoring and design inputs.
Your core duty involves ensuring our PHP systems align with organisational needs, collaborating with external contractors, our internal IT team, and key stakeholders to enhance development for operational efficiency. This role demands independence and teamwork, where you will lead programming tasks, perform thorough testing, and provide critical updates to stakeholders prior to deploying developments.
Your skill set should include extensive experience with PHP (currently using version 8.1), honed throughout your career, coupled with a comprehensive understanding of MySQL, HTML, .NET, CSS, and JS. Additionally, the role offers opportunities to work with Dynamics 365, Power BI, JSON, and Python scripting, encouraging you to either apply existing knowledge or develop new skills in these areas.
Earthwatch is an environmental charity with science at its heart. Our vision is for a world where we live in balance with nature. We connect people with nature, motivate them to protect the environment and provide them with the knowledge and tools to make change happen. www.earthwatch.org.uk
We are driven by people
We always show humanity in our bid to save humanity. As colleagues, we treat each other with genuine warmth and respect. In a polarised world, we’re proud to build a friendly movement of local groups, schools, scientists and businesses. Everyone’s voice is welcome and valued.
We are powered by science
Powered by science, it’s science that makes us powerful. We champion findings collected by people at the grassroots to spark change in our neighbourhoods and at the highest levels of government. We’re committed to debate, openness, honesty, listening and always learning.
We connect with nature
Disconnection from nature is at the heart of ecological crisis. Connection is a driving force for change. So let’s get our boots – and our hearts – muddy. With smiles on our faces, we inspire people to get out into nature, have fun, discover what we all stand to lose, and take action.
We fight for our planet
The environmental crisis is relentless. We, too, never give up. Each day we fight for our fragile earth, not through protest, but practical science. From planting tiny forests to protecting the world’s freshwater habitats, our evidence-based solutions are the seeds of our planet’s survival.
As a Software Developer at Earthwatch, your role is pivotal in advancing our mission of environmental conservation and education. Operating within the charity sector, you will be contributing to a team that is deeply committed to addressing global environmental challenges. Your work will directly support our core values of scientific rigor, collaboration, and engagement, aligning technology with our strategic goals.
In this role, you will be instrumental in enhancing and maintaining the technological infrastructure that supports Earthwatch’s operations across our global offices in the UK, Netherlands, US, and Australia. Your support in PHP, MySQL, SQL, Joomla, and ESRI will be crucial in managing and developing platforms that are vital for our diverse range of projects.
Your daily involvement in a closely-knit team, which thrives on mutual support and cross-functional collaboration, will ensure that technological solutions are not only innovative but also inclusive and reflective of our organisational ethos. By being part of this dynamic team, you will have the opportunity to learn and grow, adapting to various technologies that aid our environmental initiatives.
Ultimately, your role is not just about software development; it’s about leveraging technology to make a tangible impact on environmental conservation and education. As Earthwatch strives to connect people with the natural world, your role in developing and maintaining our technological platforms is fundamental in enabling this connection and furthering our global environmental strategy.
- Amazon Lightsail Server Management: Your role includes supporting and maintaining our Amazon Lightsail servers. This task requires proficiency in managing PHP and MySQL updates and general server maintenance, ensuring high performance and security.
- Microsoft Dynamics CRM Development and Maintenance: You will play a crucial role in developing and maintaining our Microsoft Dynamics CRM. This includes facilitating the onboarding of our Australian operations onto the CRM and managing the data migration project for our US operations, ensuring seamless integration and efficiency.
- CRM Power Automate and Business Logic Management: As part of your role, you will help maintain and enhance our CRM’s Power Automate functions and business logic jobs. This will involve optimising workflows to improve efficiency and effectiveness of our customer relationship management. Training and learning time can be provided.
- PowerBI Data Reporting and Analysis: You will develop and maintain PowerBI data collation and reporting systems. This involves creating robust data analytics and reporting tools to support decision-making and provide insightful data visualizations.
In each of these areas, your ability to work collaboratively within the team, adapt to new challenges, and contribute to our overarching environmental mission will be key. Your work will not only support our technological infrastructure but also play a significant role in furthering Earthwatch’s environmental conservation and education efforts globally.
The above list of job deliverables is not exclusive or exhaustive and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post
- Extensive experience with PHP, MySQL, and Joomla or similar CMS.
- Proficient in front end development (HTML and CSS)
- Familiarity with Amazon Lightsail server management.
- Skilled in data analysis and reporting using tools such as PowerBI.
- Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related field, or equivalent practical experience.
Collaboration and Teamwork
- Strong ability to work collaboratively within a cross-functional team.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Experience in working with international teams is desirable.
Problem-Solving and Adaptability
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and resolve technical problems.
- Agile and adaptable to changing technologies and project scopes.
Commitment to Mission
- Alignment with Earthwatch’s mission and values.
- Interest in environmental conservation and sustainability.
- Proven experience in managing and delivering technical projects.
- Ability to prioritise tasks and meet deadlines.
- Willingness to continuously learn and incorporate new technologies and methodologies.
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics CRM and Power Automate.
- Understanding of the ESRI platform, especially Survey123.
- Experience in working with scientific data collection and analysis
Earthwatch is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone has a contribution to make, regardless of visible and invisible differences. We welcome and encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply, and we will consider all applications fairly and consistently.
We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive working environment – a place where individuality is embraced and everyone has the opportunity to thrive. We value the benefits that different backgrounds, working approaches and ways of thinking can bring.
Don’t meet every single requirement?
We know that sometimes people can be put off applying for a job if they feel they don’t meet all the essential criteria. We understand that what we think we need could be limiting those that have skills, experience and behaviours that we have not considered relevant or transferrable. So, if you can do most of what we’re looking for, or believe you have suitable experience that we don’t know about, please still apply and let us know what you could bring to the role in your covering letter.
Please see attached the job description for more information.
Apply for this role
"*" indicates required fields